Nigeria: 50 die in road accidents
Abuja: At least 50 people were killed in two
road accidents, involving a head on collision between two
passenger buses and a trailer ramming into stranded vehicles,
in Nigeria on Friday.
Two road accidents took place in Nigeria`s northern
interstate road of Azare-Potiskum and Southern city of Onitsha
killed 32 and 18 persons respectively yesterday.
The spokesman for Nigeria`s Federal Road Safety
Commission (FRSC), Ibrahim Geidam said the northern accident
involved two passenger buses travelling opposite direction
that collided killing all occupants.
The Onitsha accident occurred when a moving trailer was
evading a road block and ran into some other vehicles
"The northern accident took place about 10 km away from
Azare town, near a village, called Kuskure, and it involved
two commercial buses," he said.
At Onitsha, a news agency learnt that some persons trying to
collect emblem fees for Anambra State government made the
driver of a lorry with to lose control and ram into a crowded
area and other vehicles.
Nigeria, Africa`s top oil producer has pothole filled
roads and drivers that overspeed.
Accidents are rampant along intercity roads.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick