Nigeria air crash search ends; death toll at 159
Lagos: As the search for victims of an Indian-owned flight that crashed with 153 passengers and crew on board ended, Nigerian authorities on Wednesday reviewed the number of the dead to 159 both in the plane and on ground.
Members of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) declared the search over and referred the bereaved to some hospital mortuaries where they could identify the corpses of their family members, nationals or colleagues.
An Indian from Kerala, Rijo Eldos, was aboard the aircraft which crashed into a building in a highly populated area of South western state of Lagos on its way from the country`s capital city, Abuja.
Mahendra Singh Rathore, the co-pilot of the plane, was an American of Indian origin.
The owners of the aircraft, Dana air, also explained that the plane had no engine problem prior to the accident.
A spokesman for the company, Francis Ogboro, said its chief engineer was inside the plane and therefore could not have gone on a suicide mission with its workers on Sunday when the crash occurred.
"The plane showed no faults or signs of any problems on Sunday morning before the accident," Ogboro told reporters.
He tried to calm frayed nerves over a rumour making rounds that the plane had engine problems, saying that it was not the same aircraft people referred to especially on social media.
"It was not the same one that had emergency landing in May over hydraulic problem," he said.
Aviation authorities have suspended the licence of Dana Air after what they describe as the worst crash in the country’s history going by the number of the dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM