Nigeria arrests two prison absconders
Abuja: Nigeria`s military has arrested
two persons suspected to be inmates of a prison attacked by
Islamic fundamentalists in northern state of Bauchi last week
in their bid to set free their members.
More than 700 inmates escaped in the Tuesday night
attack, including at least 150 alleged members of the outlawed
Boko Haram sect whose uprising led to the death of more than
800 people last year.
Military spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Kingsley Umoh
said they were arrested by a task force after receiving
information about their movement.
"We`re handing them over to the police," Umoh said
adding that one of them is strongly believed to be member of
Boko Haram who is serving life sentence.
Clashes between Boko Haram and the police in July
2009 left over 700 dead including the sect`s founder Mohammad
Boko Haram members have been issuing video warnings
against western education, which they term as "evil".
The sect wants to enforce Islamic law across Nigeria
and has also burnt a number of churches in the process.
Founded in 2004, the radical sect has clashed with
security forces in northern states of Bauchi, Borno, Kano and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan