Nigeria attack: Death toll rises to 143
Abuja: At least 143 dead bodies were recovered on Friday from Benisheik village in Nigeria`s northeastern state of Borno, days after a deadly ambush by suspected Boko Haram militants.
Environmental agency workers pulled out the bodies of the villagers after the militants in the deadly attack on Tuesday on Maiduguri/Damaturu highway massacred many innocent people.
Also found among the dead in Benisheik village were two soldiers and three policemen.
The insurgents initially came in 20 pickup trucks and two light tanks to confront the military, a soldier said.
They fired anti-aircraft guns and rocket propelled grenades to overpower the soldiers, he said.
The soldiers retreated to their base for reinforcement when they ran out of ammunitions but the extremists still surrounded their base.
The insurgents later retreated to the village and killed the villagers.
Nigeria has been battling to contain an onslaught by the extremist Islamic sect Boko Haram since 2009.
The group has vowed to install an Islamic government in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH