Nigeria: Boko Haram now threatens to hit schools
Kano: The purported leader of Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram has issued new threats in a message posted on YouTube while also saying last week`s attacks in Kano were over the torture of its members.
"We were responsible," a voice identified as that of suspected Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau says in audio played over a picture of him. "I ordered it and I will give that order again and again. God gave us victory."
A purported spokesman for the group had earlier claimed responsibility for coordinated bombings and shootings on January 20 in Kano which left at least 185 people dead. Police stations were the main targets.
The authenticity of the message could not be independently verified, but the photo matched up with previous ones said to be of Shekau and the voice was similar to earlier recordings. He says in the message that "we attacked the security formations because our members were arrested and tortured. Our women and children have also been arrested."
The man said to be Shekau then issued another threat: "They should know that they also have wives and children. We can also abduct them. It is not beyond our powers.”
"Soldiers raided an Islamic seminary in Maiduguri and desecrated the Quran. They should bear in mind that they also have primary and secondary schools and universities, and we can also attack them."
The purported leader of the group blamed for hundreds of deaths also accused the authorities of killing civilians in Friday`s violence.
"After we finished our war, policemen stuck around and started killing civilians and later blamed us," he said. "We are not fighting civilians, but security forces. We only kill soldiers, policemen and their collaborators."
Friday`s attacks were the worst yet attributed to Boko Haram and occurred in a city that serves as the economic heart of Nigeria`s mainly Muslim north and a centre of Islamic culture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`