Nigeria: Bomb-laden cars seized, toll reaches 250
Abuja: Nigerian police Tuesday impounded eight
vehicles loaded with improvised explosives in northern city of Kano where around 250 people, including an Indian, were killed
in coordinated terror attacks last weekend.
"We have discovered over 100 home-made bombs in different
parts of the city," said a senior police official on condition
The official said that many unexploded bombs were
recovered around the police headquarters which was one of the
targets struck in the Friday attacks.
"We have found eight explosive-laden cars abandoned by
road sides across the city, including one near a police
station and another in a market in a densely-populated area of
the city... We are still facing serious security threats," the
police officials said.
Meanwhile, hospital workers said the death toll has
reached 250 from an earlier toll of 180.
Special prayers were conducted in mosques throughout the city to seek divine intervention in order to prevent recurrence of last Friday`s blasts.
Chief Imam of Kano Sani Zaharadeen, traditional ruler of
the city Emir Ado Bayero and Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso
were present at the prayer session.
About 200 Muslim religious and political leaders offered
peace prayers in Kano, an ancient holy Muslim city.
Nigeria`s President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday visited
the populous city of Kano after attacks which were unleashed
on police stations and other security outfits’ office.
He offered his condolences to the people of the city and
also went to the Armed Forces Specialist Hospital where some
of the wounded were brought for treatment.
Radical Islamist group Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers