Nigeria charges former US VP Cheney over bribery
Abuja: Nigeria`s anti-corruption body
on Wednesday charged former US Vice President Dick Cheney over a
bribery scandal involving oil services firm Halliburton Co.
during time he served as its top official.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has filed
16-count charge meant to bring Cheney appear in the oil-rich
country`s court to face USD 240 million bribery allegation.
"The charges are made against the backdrop of bribes
which were assumed to have been paid to some Nigerian
officials concerning the construction of a Liquefied Natural
Gas at Bonny Island," EFCC spokesman Femi Babafemi said.
A Nigerian subsidiary of Houston, US based firm,
Halliburton was mentioned in the charge, Babafemi said.
Last week, Babafemi had said that Cheney was still the
chief executive of the oil company when the supposed crime was
committed in Nigeria despite being exonerated in the US case
when it was discovered that he had resigned before the bribe.
The case revolves around the construction of a
Liquefied Natural Gas plant in Southern state of Rivers state.
Early last week, the EFCC invited officials of the
oil service company for questioning in relation to the case.
An earlier investigation was done by the US but the
EFCC said the agency wants to probe it from the Nigeria`s side
Also 10 employees of Halliburton were arrested,
released and made to remain in the country in anticipation of
Their travel documents were seized by the EFCC. Ten
Nigerians were also arrested alongside the expatriate workers
over the investigation.
KBR and Halliburton had agreed to pay USD 579 million
settlement in the US after guilty plea last year over the
charges which said USD 180 million was paid in bribe to
Nigerian officials to secure a contract worth USD 6 billion
between 1994 and 2004 at Bonny Island Liquefied Natural Gas
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27