Nigeria church attacked on Christmas eve, 6 dead
Abuja: In the latest militant attack in Nigeria, gunmen targeted a church in a village in Yobe state, killing at least six on Christmas morning, officials said Wednesday.
The attack took place in a village named Peri in Potiskum, Yobe’s capital.
Though, no group has come forward to claim responsibility for the attack, Boko Haram is suspected to be behind the killing, given the history of church attacks in Nigeria.
More than 770 people have been killed in Boko Haram attacks so far this year, according to an Associated Press count, making 2012 the worst year of violence attributed to the group
Boko Haram is a radical Islamic sect in Nigeria which is said to have links with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and Somalia`s al-Shabab.
Boko Haram when translated into English means "Western education is sacrilege".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly