Nigeria church attacked on Christmas eve, 6 dead
Abuja: In the latest militant attack in Nigeria, gunmen targeted a church in a village in Yobe state, killing at least six on Christmas morning, officials said Wednesday.
The attack took place in a village named Peri in Potiskum, Yobe’s capital.
Though, no group has come forward to claim responsibility for the attack, Boko Haram is suspected to be behind the killing, given the history of church attacks in Nigeria.
More than 770 people have been killed in Boko Haram attacks so far this year, according to an Associated Press count, making 2012 the worst year of violence attributed to the group
Boko Haram is a radical Islamic sect in Nigeria which is said to have links with al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and Somalia`s al-Shabab.
Boko Haram when translated into English means "Western education is sacrilege".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket