Abuja: The Nigerian government denied reports that a group of 20 women were abducted last weekend by the militant organisation Boko Haram, media reported Saturday.
According to reports, the militants had abducted at least 20 Fulani women last week from the town of Chibok in northeast Nigeria, the same area from where the Islamic militants had abducted more than 300 schoolgirls April 15, Xinhua reported.
Mike Omeri, coordinator of the National Information Centre (NIC) said that investigations by police and military troops in Borno State showed that no abduction took place.
"The story of the abduction of Fulani women is wrong. Troops on ground have said that no such reports have been received. It has been confirmed that there is no police report to the effect that Fulani women have been abducted," Omeri said.
"This story may likely be part of the general misinformation being peddled to create the impression that the insurgents are inaccessible," he added.
Meanwhile, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has invited all former heads of states to meet in Abuja next week to discuss deteriorating security situation in the northern part of the country, which has recently been gripped by various forms of unrest.