Nigeria: Explosion at shopping mall; none injured
Abuja: A bomb explosion outside a shopping mall here on Wednesday left no one injured, but Nigerian authorities put security agencies on high alert fearing more such attacks in the city.
The bomb detonated at Sheriff shopping mall plaza located in Wuse 2 causing panic within the city but nobody died or injured in the blast, security officials said.
As security agencies cleared the debris resulting from the explosion, another blast went off planted by the roadside.
National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Abuja Head of Operation, said there was no need to cordon off the place again as the necessary checks have been carried out. But residents were cautious as they went about with their businesses.
The explosion comes just over a week after a bomb went off outside a nightclub in Abuja that shattered the windows of nearby buildings but caused no casualties.
Though Abuja has witnessed some attacks including the UN country headquarters bombing last year, the oil-rich country has been trying hard to ward off regular bombings within the capital.
A radical Islamic sect - Boko Haram - has claimed the bombings carry out most of their activities in northeastern part of the country.
The sect wants to carve out an Islamic caliphate out of the oil-rich country where it would enforce Sharia law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends