Nigeria: Explosion at shopping mall; none injured
Abuja: A bomb explosion outside a shopping mall here on Wednesday left no one injured, but Nigerian authorities put security agencies on high alert fearing more such attacks in the city.
The bomb detonated at Sheriff shopping mall plaza located in Wuse 2 causing panic within the city but nobody died or injured in the blast, security officials said.
As security agencies cleared the debris resulting from the explosion, another blast went off planted by the roadside.
National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Abuja Head of Operation, said there was no need to cordon off the place again as the necessary checks have been carried out. But residents were cautious as they went about with their businesses.
The explosion comes just over a week after a bomb went off outside a nightclub in Abuja that shattered the windows of nearby buildings but caused no casualties.
Though Abuja has witnessed some attacks including the UN country headquarters bombing last year, the oil-rich country has been trying hard to ward off regular bombings within the capital.
A radical Islamic sect - Boko Haram - has claimed the bombings carry out most of their activities in northeastern part of the country.
The sect wants to carve out an Islamic caliphate out of the oil-rich country where it would enforce Sharia law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof