Nigeria fighting kills 185 in state of Borno
Abuja: Fighting which started between the military and Islamic insurgents in Nigeria`s northern state of Borno on Friday has claimed about 185 lives in a fishing community.
A local government chairman Mr Lawan Kole informed state officials yesterday that the bodies of the recovered victims had been buried even as the search for more dead persons has not ended.
Brig Gen Austin Edokpaye, the military spokesman said the insurgents used human shield and attacked soldiers with rocket propelled grenade and sophisticated machine guns.
In similar cases in the past soldiers had been accused of shooting at civilian targets and this could account for the high casualty in the present confrontation.
Boko Haram Islamic extremists have been carrying out attacks in northern Nigeria since 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love