Nigeria: First ever suicide bomber attacks capital
Abuja: Nigeria on Thursday witnessed its first
ever suicide bombing attack targeting the police headquarters
in which one security official was killed and several others
wounded, while in another blast in the northern region three
children have died.
Police chief in the state, Mohammed Abubakar said that
suspected members of Muslim sect, Boko Haram detonated bomb at
a house in the town of Damboa killing the children but did not
confirm whether they were siblings.
"They were playing within the area of the bombing and
were killed instantly," Abubakar said.
In capital Abuja, the oil rich African country
witnessed its first ever suicide bombing, when a police
officer were killed. The bomber tried to attack the police
Red Cross workers said the wounded were taken to the
hospital for medical attention.
"I can confirm that a suicide bomber was killed but
may not be able to give you more casualty figure for the time
being," the spokesman of the National Emergency Management
Agency (NEMA), Yeshua Shuaib said.
But a spokesman of the police told the media here
that the bomber and a traffic policeman were killed by the
Witnesses said a loud explosion was heard around 8
am local time followed by billow of smokes which went
skywards at the highly guarded police headquarters where the
country`s Inspector General of police, Hafiz Ringim drove in a
convoy into the compound.
Ringim himself was said to have escaped death by
whiskers according to the force`s narration of the incidence.
The car was trailing the inspector-general of police
by following his convoy but was re-directed to a general car
park by a traffic policeman who discovered that it was not
part of the convoy before the bomb went off.
On Tuesday, the police chief visited Maiduguri where
an Islamic sect, Boko Haram that has carried out many deadly
attacks in the country has their largest number of members and
vowed to stop the activities of the group.
Police said more than 30 cars were burnt while 40
other vehicles were shattered by the explosions.
Boko Haram which means Western education is
abomination threatened to continue "fierce" attacks throughout
the country after the police chief`s statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan