Nigeria: First ever suicide bomber attacks capital
Abuja: Nigeria on Thursday witnessed its first
ever suicide bombing attack targeting the police headquarters
in which one security official was killed and several others
wounded, while in another blast in the northern region three
children have died.
Police chief in the state, Mohammed Abubakar said that
suspected members of Muslim sect, Boko Haram detonated bomb at
a house in the town of Damboa killing the children but did not
confirm whether they were siblings.
"They were playing within the area of the bombing and
were killed instantly," Abubakar said.
In capital Abuja, the oil rich African country
witnessed its first ever suicide bombing, when a police
officer were killed. The bomber tried to attack the police
Red Cross workers said the wounded were taken to the
hospital for medical attention.
"I can confirm that a suicide bomber was killed but
may not be able to give you more casualty figure for the time
being," the spokesman of the National Emergency Management
Agency (NEMA), Yeshua Shuaib said.
But a spokesman of the police told the media here
that the bomber and a traffic policeman were killed by the
Witnesses said a loud explosion was heard around 8
am local time followed by billow of smokes which went
skywards at the highly guarded police headquarters where the
country`s Inspector General of police, Hafiz Ringim drove in a
convoy into the compound.
Ringim himself was said to have escaped death by
whiskers according to the force`s narration of the incidence.
The car was trailing the inspector-general of police
by following his convoy but was re-directed to a general car
park by a traffic policeman who discovered that it was not
part of the convoy before the bomb went off.
On Tuesday, the police chief visited Maiduguri where
an Islamic sect, Boko Haram that has carried out many deadly
attacks in the country has their largest number of members and
vowed to stop the activities of the group.
Police said more than 30 cars were burnt while 40
other vehicles were shattered by the explosions.
Boko Haram which means Western education is
abomination threatened to continue "fierce" attacks throughout
the country after the police chief`s statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia