Nigeria first lady describes mystery illness
Abuja (Nigeria): Nigeria`s first lady has described details of a mystery illness she had that the country`s presidency refused to discuss.
Patience Jonathan, wife to President Goodluck Jonathan, talked about the illness at a church service yesterday at Aso Rock, the nation`s presidential villa.
Jonathan said she had her "intestine and tummy opened" and later fell unconscious for a week. She said she had three surgeries in all and some "sold my things off" because they thought she was dead.
The first lady said: "I am not Lazarus but my experience was similar to his. My doctors said all hope was lost."
In September, Jonathan disappeared from public view. Officials said she had "food poisoning" and was receiving medical treatment abroad. She returned in October visibly thinner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Swiss fighter jet missing, believed crashed: Ministry
- PM Narendra Modi reviews plans to counter strike by trade unions
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir