Nigeria first lady returns after mystery illness
Abuja: Nigeria`s first lady Patience Jonathan has returned home to the nation`s capital following a mystery illness that kept her abroad for weeks.
The state-run Nigerian Television Authority cut into its programming this afternoon to show Jonathan waving from a presidential jet on the tarmac of Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja. The first lady briefly spoke with a strained voice, saying that "God has given me a second chance." She did not explain the illness that had kept her away from the country, but denied she had cosmetic surgery.
In September, Patience Jonathan disappeared from public view. Authorities have refused to say publicly why she left the country. An official later told The Associated Press the first lady fell ill with "food poisoning" and needed to be hospitalized in Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional