Nigeria: Five policemen shot dead in Adamawa
Abuja: Unidentified gunmen shot dead five policemen and set the police station ablaze after looting the armoury in Nigeria`s northern state of Adamawa.
Police officials said the attack took place late Thursday at a divisional police headquarters Gulak, near Madagali Local Government in northeastern part of the state.
Three officers were at the post on duty when unidentified gunmen numbering 30 besieged the station, looted the armoury and set the station ablaze, they said.
The gunmen shot dead all three officers.
Police spokesman Yoila Nemuel said the gunmen later attacked two banks where two policemen providing security for the financial institutions were also killed.
Though robbery operations are widespread in northern Nigeria, a violent Islamic militant sect, Boko Haram, often rob banks to raise money to support their operations.
The sect, which detests Western education, plans to establish an Islamic caliphate independent of the Nigerian state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj