Nigeria: Five policemen shot dead in Adamawa
Abuja: Unidentified gunmen shot dead five policemen and set the police station ablaze after looting the armoury in Nigeria`s northern state of Adamawa.
Police officials said the attack took place late Thursday at a divisional police headquarters Gulak, near Madagali Local Government in northeastern part of the state.
Three officers were at the post on duty when unidentified gunmen numbering 30 besieged the station, looted the armoury and set the station ablaze, they said.
The gunmen shot dead all three officers.
Police spokesman Yoila Nemuel said the gunmen later attacked two banks where two policemen providing security for the financial institutions were also killed.
Though robbery operations are widespread in northern Nigeria, a violent Islamic militant sect, Boko Haram, often rob banks to raise money to support their operations.
The sect, which detests Western education, plans to establish an Islamic caliphate independent of the Nigerian state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- South Sudan ceasefire monitors warn of violence
- Chennai Infosys employee murder: High-resolution image of suspect released
- A little butter a day may not harm your heart
- WATCH: What a grab! Eng vs SL - Danushka Gunathilaka pulls off unreal catch
- Indian money in Swiss banks drops by one-third to Rs 8,392 crore