Nigeria forces search homes for Boko Haram weapons
Maiduguri: Nigerian security forces have started door-to-door searches for weapons in northeast Borno state after an arms amnesty for Islamist militants expired on October 31, a spokesman said on Wednesday.
Colonel Mohammed Hassan, spokesman for the Joint Military Taskforce in Borno, said the measure was aimed at curbing violence in the state, which is suffering almost daily gun attacks and frequent bombings by the militant group Boko Haram.
"We have commenced house-to-house searches for illegal firearms because, from Tuesday morning, the deadline given to the public to surrender all firearms in their possession expired," he told journalists in the state`s capital Maiduguri.
"This measure is aimed at bringing an end to the incessant attacks by Boko Haram."
One search had already led to the arrest of a suspected bank robber with links to Boko Haram thought to have been behind a heist on a local branch of First Bank in which a policeman was shot dead, he said.
Boko Haram, whose name means "Western education is forbidden”, has been behind dozens of shootings in Nigeria`s northeast this year, usually targeting public and religious figures. Last month, it killed a state television cameraman.
The group is growing in ambition and sophistication. Nigerian and international security agencies believe it has been strengthening ties with al Qaeda`s north African wing.
The group claimed responsibility for a deadly bombing on the United Nations` headquarters in the capital Abuja in August. Security crackdowns have yielded little and in some cases heavy-handedness has alienated the local population.
A state-sponsored committee in September recommended trying to establish a dialogue with Boko Haram, but no efforts have yet been made to engage its leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!