Nigeria grants bail to Iranian over arms seizure: Reports
Abuja: A Nigerian court granted bail on Thursday to an Iranian identified as a member of his country`s Revolutionary Guards and charged over an illegal arms cache seized in October, local media reported.
Azim Aghajani had been identified in court papers as a businessman and "member of IRGC”, an abbreviation for the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, the military and economic force in Iran.
He was charged along with three Nigerians after the seizure at a Lagos port of the arms cache, which included rockets and mortars. It was sent from an Iranian port, but Tehran has said the arms were shipped by a private company.
Justice Ishaq Bello of an Abuja high court granted Aghajani bail, setting the amount at 20 million naira (EUR 100,000, USD 130,000).
He is to appear in court again on January 31.
After the arms arrived in Lagos, the shipper sought to have the containers reloaded and sent to Gambia, a tiny West African country wedged inside Senegal.
Nigeria has reported the seizure to the UN Security Council, with Iran under four sets of United Nations sanctions over its nuclear programme. The sanctions include a ban on arms sales.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'