Nigeria: Gunmen kill politician, his wife and kid
Abuja: Suspected Fulani herdsmen on Thursday shot dead a politician, his wife and their little child near Nigeria`s restive central city of Jos.
Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Sharabutu ward in Bachit District of Riyom local government area of Plateau state John Baren and his wife were shot dead at Gwarim in Rim Village of the state.
Baren along with his family was returning from Riyom, the headquarters of the council, after attending the burial of a relative when the assailants suddenly appeared and shot them.
Police spokesman Emmanuel Abuh could not be reached for confirmation but parliamentarian Daniel Dem confirmed the incident.
Plateau state has been a hotbed of violence between Fulani herdsmen, who are mostly Muslims, and Birom ethnic group made up of mostly Christians.
Most often, incidents of violence in Plateau are not related to bombings and shootings carried out by Boko Haram Islamic sect in the northern region but a communal fight for land control in the oil rich African country’s central region.
More than 2,000 died in ethnic and religious related clashes within the state since last 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM