Nigeria: Gunmen kill politician, his wife and kid
Abuja: Suspected Fulani herdsmen on Thursday shot dead a politician, his wife and their little child near Nigeria`s restive central city of Jos.
Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Sharabutu ward in Bachit District of Riyom local government area of Plateau state John Baren and his wife were shot dead at Gwarim in Rim Village of the state.
Baren along with his family was returning from Riyom, the headquarters of the council, after attending the burial of a relative when the assailants suddenly appeared and shot them.
Police spokesman Emmanuel Abuh could not be reached for confirmation but parliamentarian Daniel Dem confirmed the incident.
Plateau state has been a hotbed of violence between Fulani herdsmen, who are mostly Muslims, and Birom ethnic group made up of mostly Christians.
Most often, incidents of violence in Plateau are not related to bombings and shootings carried out by Boko Haram Islamic sect in the northern region but a communal fight for land control in the oil rich African country’s central region.
More than 2,000 died in ethnic and religious related clashes within the state since last 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj