Nigeria: Gunmen kill politician, his wife and kid
Abuja: Suspected Fulani herdsmen on Thursday shot dead a politician, his wife and their little child near Nigeria`s restive central city of Jos.
Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Sharabutu ward in Bachit District of Riyom local government area of Plateau state John Baren and his wife were shot dead at Gwarim in Rim Village of the state.
Baren along with his family was returning from Riyom, the headquarters of the council, after attending the burial of a relative when the assailants suddenly appeared and shot them.
Police spokesman Emmanuel Abuh could not be reached for confirmation but parliamentarian Daniel Dem confirmed the incident.
Plateau state has been a hotbed of violence between Fulani herdsmen, who are mostly Muslims, and Birom ethnic group made up of mostly Christians.
Most often, incidents of violence in Plateau are not related to bombings and shootings carried out by Boko Haram Islamic sect in the northern region but a communal fight for land control in the oil rich African country’s central region.
More than 2,000 died in ethnic and religious related clashes within the state since last 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP