Nigeria holds mass burial for communal violence victims
Abuja: Mass burial on Thursday commenced for victims of Muslim-Christian communal violence in a northern Nigeria city which has left at least 400 dead in the last four days, even as the government ordered troops to quell attacks by rioting gangs which had raged largely unchecked.
Religious groups could be seen burying dead bodies at mass graves as some 17,000 displaced residents started returning back to the city that has witnessed the killing of not less than 400 persons in the last four days.
With a permanent curfew relaxed for a few hours, a mass funeral got underway on Thursday morning after the government ordered in troops to quell attacks by rampaging gun-wielding gangs which had raged largely unchecked since Sunday.
A twenty-four hour curfew earlier placed by the government was reduced and this has enhanced humanitarian efforts around centres where distraught residents have taken refuge. The conflict was reportedly fuelled by the building of a mosque in a Christian dominated area of the town.
Uneasy calm pervades the city and strong security presence has enforced peace though inhabitants still live in fear. A governor of southern state of Ekiti, Segun Oni ordered the evacuation of over 200 Ekiti indigenous residing in the city Oni said, "All indigenous of the State living in Jos will be evacuated before Sunday."
"The State Commissioner for Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Relation, Segun Ilori, would be handling the evacuation and was mandated to see to the welfare of the victims.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in