Nigeria: Military kills top Boko Haram member
Abuja: A top member of the radical Islamist sect Boko Haram has been killed and two others were arrested in Hotoro area of the northern state of Kano, Nigerian military said Monday.
"Yes I can confirm to you the killing of one and the arrest of two sect members, adding that we carried out an operation this morning," Joint Task Force (JTF) spokesman in Kano, Lieutenant Ikedichi Iweha said.
He said he could not confirm the identity of the person killed and those arrested.
The operation was carried out by members of Joint Task Force (JTF).
Meanwhile, media reports speculated that the spokesman of the sect, Abu Qaqa, may be the person killed even as sources said a woman was among the two arrested.
Sources told a news agency that the person killed and those arrested were among the most wanted members of the sect.
Yesterday, gunmen, suspected to be members of Boko Haram, killed four members of the same family in Kano.
They killed a member of the National Security and Civil Defence Corps, his wife, daughter and brother at Hotoro area of the metropolis.
The group has been waging a sustained war in Nigeria`s northern cities and on January it attacked the city of Kano killing more than 180 persons.
In several of the sects attacks, bombs, suicide bombers and drive by gun shots have been used to kill hundreds of people.
The oil rich African country has a population of 150 million equally divided among Christians and Muslims.
The Muslims are mostly found in the north while the Christians have their majority in the South.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Find out which day of the week is dedicated to which Lord!
- Angelique Kerber eyes double delight, aims German Wimbledon & Euros triumph
- Banned Pakistan spin-bowler Danish Kaneria returns home from India
- Seven companies in race to manage EPFO's equity investments in FY17
- BCCI Conclave: DDCA Joint Secretary Vivek Gupta snubbed as he went uninvited!