Nigeria: Pirates kill Captain, chief engineer of cargo ship
Abuja: The Captain and chief engineer of a
cargo vessel were killed Monday by pirates operating off the
coast of Nigeria`s commercial capital of Lagos, International
Maritime Bureau (IMB) said.
"Armed pirates chased and fired upon a drifting bulk
carrier. Vessel raised alarm and headed towards Lagos. All
crew except the bridge team took shelter in the citadel. But
due to the continuous firing the Captain and the C/E were
shot," IMB said on its website.
Cyrus Mody, a manager at the IMB, said the vessel`s
captain and chief engineer "were killed in the shooting."
The maritime watchdog said it alerted Nigerian
authorities immediately after the attack. Three attacks took
place in the area since Thursday, it added.
The incident took place 90 nautical miles off Lagos and
IMB warned sailors to keep off the zone.
Hijacking and attacks on ships by pirates are common in
Last July, an oil vessel was hijacked off Nigerian waters
with its crew which included Indians and Filipinos but later
it was set free by pirates.
A similar incident in mid-July saw a Greek oil tanker
being hijacked with its 20 crew members by armed men.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!