Nigeria police clash with Boko Haram, 21 killed
Abuja: At least 17 Boko Haram militants were among 21 people killed in clashes between police and members of the radical group in Nigerian cities of Kano and Damaturu.
Sect members numbering 30 attacked a police post at Dala division in Kano city with assault rifles and improvised explosive devices last night, according to the police.
"Three of the gunmen were arrested while we diffused 14 improvised explosive devices planted at different locations by them," Kano State Commissioner of Police Ibrahim Idris told a news agency over phone.
Idris said 17 militants were killed in the clashes and one of his men was shot dead while another was injured.
In Damaturu, the militants attacked a police station in Sabon Pegi with firearms killing two civilians and injuring a woman and her child.
Yobe State Police Commissioner Patrick Egbuniwe confirmed that there was an exchange of fire between members of the anti-terrorism military unit, Joint Task Force (JTF), and the extremists for about 30 minutes.
"There were attacks on a police and military posts by suspected gunmen, where two civilians were killed in the Sabon Pegi ward and the Federal Polytechnic staff quarters," he said.
Boko Haram says its plan is to install Islamic rule in the oil-rich African country of 150 million people divided equally among Christians and Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown