Nigeria police clash with Boko Haram, 21 killed
Abuja: At least 17 Boko Haram militants were among 21 people killed in clashes between police and members of the radical group in Nigerian cities of Kano and Damaturu.
Sect members numbering 30 attacked a police post at Dala division in Kano city with assault rifles and improvised explosive devices last night, according to the police.
"Three of the gunmen were arrested while we diffused 14 improvised explosive devices planted at different locations by them," Kano State Commissioner of Police Ibrahim Idris told a news agency over phone.
Idris said 17 militants were killed in the clashes and one of his men was shot dead while another was injured.
In Damaturu, the militants attacked a police station in Sabon Pegi with firearms killing two civilians and injuring a woman and her child.
Yobe State Police Commissioner Patrick Egbuniwe confirmed that there was an exchange of fire between members of the anti-terrorism military unit, Joint Task Force (JTF), and the extremists for about 30 minutes.
"There were attacks on a police and military posts by suspected gunmen, where two civilians were killed in the Sabon Pegi ward and the Federal Polytechnic staff quarters," he said.
Boko Haram says its plan is to install Islamic rule in the oil-rich African country of 150 million people divided equally among Christians and Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days