Nigeria police clash with Boko Haram, 21 killed
Abuja: At least 17 Boko Haram militants were among 21 people killed in clashes between police and members of the radical group in Nigerian cities of Kano and Damaturu.
Sect members numbering 30 attacked a police post at Dala division in Kano city with assault rifles and improvised explosive devices last night, according to the police.
"Three of the gunmen were arrested while we diffused 14 improvised explosive devices planted at different locations by them," Kano State Commissioner of Police Ibrahim Idris told a news agency over phone.
Idris said 17 militants were killed in the clashes and one of his men was shot dead while another was injured.
In Damaturu, the militants attacked a police station in Sabon Pegi with firearms killing two civilians and injuring a woman and her child.
Yobe State Police Commissioner Patrick Egbuniwe confirmed that there was an exchange of fire between members of the anti-terrorism military unit, Joint Task Force (JTF), and the extremists for about 30 minutes.
"There were attacks on a police and military posts by suspected gunmen, where two civilians were killed in the Sabon Pegi ward and the Federal Polytechnic staff quarters," he said.
Boko Haram says its plan is to install Islamic rule in the oil-rich African country of 150 million people divided equally among Christians and Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day