Nigeria police free hostage, kill three kidnappers
Lagos: Police say they have freed a hostage and killed three kidnappers during a rescue operation in southeastern Nigeria.
Anambra state police chief Bala Nasarawa said on Wednesday that police had raided a hideout in the town of Ihiala two days earlier. Kidnappings often occur in this region where criminal gangs thrive, but police rarely manage to rescue captives.
Nasarawa said police acted on a tip-off, but declined to identify the freed captive or provide other details.
Militants and criminal gangs in Nigeria`s south and in its oil-rich delta have routinely targeted expatriate workers. But in recent years, kidnappers have increasingly captured middle- and upper-class Nigerians, including actors and journalists.
Local gangs see kidnapping as a good way of receiving ransom payments in a region of high unemployment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read