Nigeria police free hostage, kill three kidnappers
Lagos: Police say they have freed a hostage and killed three kidnappers during a rescue operation in southeastern Nigeria.
Anambra state police chief Bala Nasarawa said on Wednesday that police had raided a hideout in the town of Ihiala two days earlier. Kidnappings often occur in this region where criminal gangs thrive, but police rarely manage to rescue captives.
Nasarawa said police acted on a tip-off, but declined to identify the freed captive or provide other details.
Militants and criminal gangs in Nigeria`s south and in its oil-rich delta have routinely targeted expatriate workers. But in recent years, kidnappers have increasingly captured middle- and upper-class Nigerians, including actors and journalists.
Local gangs see kidnapping as a good way of receiving ransom payments in a region of high unemployment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane