Nigeria police free hostage, kill three kidnappers
Lagos: Police say they have freed a hostage and killed three kidnappers during a rescue operation in southeastern Nigeria.
Anambra state police chief Bala Nasarawa said on Wednesday that police had raided a hideout in the town of Ihiala two days earlier. Kidnappings often occur in this region where criminal gangs thrive, but police rarely manage to rescue captives.
Nasarawa said police acted on a tip-off, but declined to identify the freed captive or provide other details.
Militants and criminal gangs in Nigeria`s south and in its oil-rich delta have routinely targeted expatriate workers. But in recent years, kidnappers have increasingly captured middle- and upper-class Nigerians, including actors and journalists.
Local gangs see kidnapping as a good way of receiving ransom payments in a region of high unemployment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security