Nigeria: Pregnant girls rescued from `baby factory`
Lagos: Nigerian police have raided an alleged illegal orphanage where they rescued young women thought to have been forced to bear children with the aim of selling them, a spokesman said.
"We discovered the baby factory in Uruah local government area of the state during a raid following a tip-off," assistant police superintendent Oyekachi Orji told a news agency yesterday of the operation in southern Akwa Ibom state.
He said seven women between the ages of 18 and 20, including three who were pregnant, were freed from the home during the April 4 operation. No babies were discovered.
Three suspects including the owner, his wife and another accomplice were arrested, he said.
"The suspects usually lure young girls to get pregnant with a promise of USD 445 after having their babies, which they sell to ritualists," he said.
A number of such "factories" have been discovered Nigeria, often intending to sell children to childless couples.
One of the young mothers said that she had contacted the owner of the home with the intention to have an abortion but he convinced her to stay until she gave birth.
"The doctor gave me USD 445," the Nigerian press quoted the woman as saying. She also said the baby was taken away from her right after the birth.
This was not the only baby factory uncovered in Nigeria. In October last year police found 17 pregnant teenagers in a home in the southern state of Anambra.
Several months earlier 32 pregnant teens were discovered in southern Nigeria in places run by a foundation that has been accused of forcing young women to give up their children for sale.
Human trafficking is widespread in west Africa, where children are bought from their families to work in plantations, mines and factories or as domestic help.
Others are sold into prostitution, and less commonly they are tortured or sacrificed in black magic rituals. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad