Nigeria records first deaths from H1N1 influenza
Abuja: Nigeria has reported its first swine
flu deaths as two people, including a woman, died after being
infected with the virus, even as the country`s health ministry
has asked for extra precaution against the deadly disease.
"As at January 18, 2010, Nigeria has recorded 11
laboratory confirmed cases of H1N1 Influenza with two deaths
from the pandemic," Nigeria`s minister of Health, Babatunde
Osotimehin, said including an earlier case on December 5 last
year whereby a suspected patient had died.
He urged anybody who suspects having symptoms of the
disease to report to the health care delivery institution for
proper medical check-up.
The most recent case of H1N1 influenza was a 38-year-old
female living in Lagos who was said to have travelled to the
United States about three months ago.
She died on Tuesday January 5, 2010 at Reddington
Hospital Victoria Island, Lagos, after reporting sick six
Osotimehin said his department, in collaboration with the
Lagos State Ministry of Health, had collected samples from the
index case and the victim`s contacts for further analysis and
eight out of the 40 samples of close contacts collected were
found to be positive of Influenza A H1N1.
He also announced enhanced disease surveillance like
vigorous case search in designated health facilities in all
the 36 states of the federation including the capital Abuja.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case