Nigeria releases 70 Chinese arrested for illegally living
Beijing: Nigeria has released around 70 Chinese who were arrested for illegally living and working in the country, a Chinese foreign ministry official said Thursday.
Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said the Chinese were arrested by Nigeria`s immigration authority, a news agency reported.
The Chinese embassy and General Consulate were negotiating on the issue, he said, adding that Nigeria has been urged to handle the case carefully according to law.
The embassy would continue to offer consular assistance to those who may face repatriation, he said.
Earlier, the Shanghai Daily reported that 45 Chinese -- 34 men and 11 women -- were arrested Tuesday in a textile market in northern Kano state in a government crackdown on illegal migrants.
They were arrested for their involvement in illegal textile trade, and for taking jobs that belonged to local Nigerians, said the chief of the immigration department in Kano.
But the Nigerian official denied the crackdown was targeted just at Chinese people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says