Nigeria releases list of 73.5 million voters
Abuja: Over 73.5 million people are
eligible to vote in the upcoming Nigerian polls in April, in
which incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan will also try his
There has been an increase of roughly six million
people from the last statistics.
Nigeria`s electoral umpire, Independent National
Electoral Commission (INEC) has released the final list of
The Presidential polls are scheduled for April.
The commission issued the numbers lst night, which are
up from previous estimates of 67.7 million registered voters.
The commission also said it detected more than 870,000
According to the chairman of the commission, Professor
Attahiru Jega, some prominent politicians were involved in the
multiple registrations and would be made known to the public
with the aim of having them prosecuted in due time.
Politicians in the country which is Africa`s biggest
democracy with a population of 150 million have started
campaigns with spates of bombings especially at rally grounds
threatening the relative peace that characterised past
elections, On Thursday, a bomb explosion killed 10 persons at
a rally ground in the northern state of Niger close to the
country’s capital, Abuja.
The elections will be contested by President Goodluck
Jonathan and other presidential candidates, including former
head of state, General Ibrahim Buhari and former anti-graft
chief Nuhu Ribadu.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India