Nigeria road accident kills 16 police recruits
Abuja: At least sixteen newly recruited police officers were burnt to death when a bus in which they were travelling in rammed into a car in northern state of Kwara, eyewitnesses said.
"The Toyota Hummer bus in which the police chattered was coming from Ilorin going to Nassarawa state while, a Mercedes Benz came from another route and rammed his vehicle to the police vehicle which caught fire instantly," some eyewitnesses said adding that the accident occurred in front of a girl`s college in Omu-Aran town.
They eyewitnesses said the police recruits were burnt beyond recognition and that only three persons survived and are receiving treatment in a hospital.
The affected officers were trained in the country`s commercial capital -- Lagos where a police college is located and were on their way to their new posting in northern Nasarawa state.
The Kwara state police spokesman, Olufemi Fabode confirmed the accident but refused to disclose the number of persons that died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation