Nigeria: Suicide bomber targets mosque, kills 5
Abuja: A suicide bomber blew himself up near the palace of a religious leader in Nigeria, killing five people and injuring six, a report said.
The attack took place in the northern state of Borno.
Colonel Victor Ebhaleme, the state commander of the Joint Task Force, said the bomber targeted a popular mosque.
The bomber apparently targeted a spiritual leader in the gathering at the mosque situated near the residence of the traditional Islamic ruler of the region.
Security sources told Xinhua news agency that Deputy Governor of the state, Zanna Umar Mustapha, was also one of the targets of the bomber who could not get to them before the bomb exploded.
Mustapha confirmed the speculation to reporters, saying the bomber was a very young boy who came near him and Shehu of Borno, Umar Garbai el-Kanemi, after the Friday prayers.
"Thank God, I am alive. I thought I had lost my legs due to the blood stain on my cloth, but as you can see, nothing happened to us," he said.
This is the first attack by a suicide bomber in a mosque since an Islamic terrorist group, Boko Haram, started its attacks in Nigeria`s north since 2009.
The group has carried out several attacks on churches and has shot and killed several Muslim leaders in the past.
Maiduguri, which is the capital of Borno State is considered to be the headquarters of the group which says that Western education is an abomination.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing