Nigeria to charge 49 over Jos killings
Abuja: The Nigeria police on Wednesday said it will slap murder charges on 49 people for the renewed communal violence in the northern city of Jos that left scores dead.
Police also revised the death toll in the clashes on Sunday to 109 against an earlier announced casualty figure of 500. They said most of the victims were Christians who were forced out of their homes by Fulani tribesmen.
The officials said they have arrested nearly 200 people since the outbreak of violence in the northern Nigerian state of Plateau.
Meanwhile, state commissioner for information and communications, Greg Nyelong, insisted that the casualty figure was 500 and that 384 bodies were buried in three mass graves in the affected villages.
The deadly attack is apparently an attempt to avenge the killings of over 200 people in mid-January in clashes between the Christians and Muslims in Jos.
Corpses of the victims of communal riots have been buried in mass graves on Tuesday and the atmosphere remained tense as young men were seen trying to retaliate whenever they come across members of other religion.
The military patrolled the entire area but the residents were still gripped with fear and were seen trying to organise vigilante groups.
Governor Jonah Jang had accused the military of complacency in handling the situation. According to him, distress calls sent to the military command were initially not heeded to.
Meanwhile, a group that calls itself `Movement for the Survival of the Plateau People (MPP) claimed that Muslims and Christians are stockpiling arms at worship places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies