Nigeria town attacked by Boko Haram, 56 killed
Abuja: At least 56 people, including 13 militants of radical Islamic sect Boko Haram, were killed when the latter attacked an army base, a police station and a prison in Nigeria`s northern state of Borno, official sources said.
The insurgents, who came with Hilux pick-up trucks, launched the attack in Bama, a commercial town about 187 km away from Maiduguri, yesterday, military spokesman Lt Col. Sagir Musa told reporters here.
In the incident, 22 policemen, 14 prison guards, two soldiers and four civilians were killed by the heavily-armed militants, Musa said.
However, 13 of the insurgents were also killed by soldiers as they attempted an attack on 202 Barracks in Bama, the official added.
Boko Haram has been a major terrorist group in Nigeria which has killed thousands through suicide attacks, bombings and shootings.
The group wants to install an Islamic caliphate in Nigeria, an oil rich African country with a population of 150 million people equally shared between the two major religions, Islam and Christianity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical