Nigeria town attacked by Boko Haram, 56 killed
Abuja: At least 56 people, including 13 militants of radical Islamic sect Boko Haram, were killed when the latter attacked an army base, a police station and a prison in Nigeria`s northern state of Borno, official sources said.
The insurgents, who came with Hilux pick-up trucks, launched the attack in Bama, a commercial town about 187 km away from Maiduguri, yesterday, military spokesman Lt Col. Sagir Musa told reporters here.
In the incident, 22 policemen, 14 prison guards, two soldiers and four civilians were killed by the heavily-armed militants, Musa said.
However, 13 of the insurgents were also killed by soldiers as they attempted an attack on 202 Barracks in Bama, the official added.
Boko Haram has been a major terrorist group in Nigeria which has killed thousands through suicide attacks, bombings and shootings.
The group wants to install an Islamic caliphate in Nigeria, an oil rich African country with a population of 150 million people equally shared between the two major religions, Islam and Christianity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss