Nigeria uncovers officers` links to Boko Haram
Abuja: Nigerian Army has arrested several security operatives for their alleged links to radical Islamic sect Boko Haram, after a detained immigration officer who also worked for the group claimed that these officers were involved in its activities.
Spokesman for the military in the oil rich African country`s northern Borno State, Sagir Musa said the immigration officer was arrested a month back and has been volunteering information since then. br>
"He disclosed the identity of some other security officers who have been helping Boko Haram carry out its attacks in Borno and Yobe states," he said.
He did not mention the number of officers arrested but said the immigration officer admitted connivance in killing several civil servants, security agents and politicians in Borno state where the sect has its headquarters and has carried out the highest number of killings.
Local media gave the name of the immigration officer as Ahmed Grema Mohammed who has received weapons training for purpose of assassinations.
He was arrested while impersonating as an army captain and plotting the assassination of a top government official in Borno State.
Boko Haram has vowed to install a Muslim caliphate in Nigeria and has carried out several violent campaigns including suicide bombings.
On September 17, the military killed the spokesman of the sect that goes with the nom de guerre, Abu Qaqa and arrested two members in Hotoro area of the northern state of Kano.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened