Nigeria uncovers officers` links to Boko Haram
Abuja: Nigerian Army has arrested several security operatives for their alleged links to radical Islamic sect Boko Haram, after a detained immigration officer who also worked for the group claimed that these officers were involved in its activities.
Spokesman for the military in the oil rich African country`s northern Borno State, Sagir Musa said the immigration officer was arrested a month back and has been volunteering information since then. br>
"He disclosed the identity of some other security officers who have been helping Boko Haram carry out its attacks in Borno and Yobe states," he said.
He did not mention the number of officers arrested but said the immigration officer admitted connivance in killing several civil servants, security agents and politicians in Borno state where the sect has its headquarters and has carried out the highest number of killings.
Local media gave the name of the immigration officer as Ahmed Grema Mohammed who has received weapons training for purpose of assassinations.
He was arrested while impersonating as an army captain and plotting the assassination of a top government official in Borno State.
Boko Haram has vowed to install a Muslim caliphate in Nigeria and has carried out several violent campaigns including suicide bombings.
On September 17, the military killed the spokesman of the sect that goes with the nom de guerre, Abu Qaqa and arrested two members in Hotoro area of the northern state of Kano.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- CPI(M) Kashmir criticises DG CRPF for his comment on pellet guns
- Anil Kapoor opens up about kissing scene in '24'! – Read more
- ZTE launches two new smartphones – Blade V6, Axon Mini
- Devas-Antrix deal: International tribunal rules against India
- Heavy rains lash Uttar Pradesh; thunder showers predicted