Nigeria: Who are Boko Haram militants?
Zee Media Bureau
Lagos: Nigeria`s Boko Haram militants attacked the College of Agriculture in Yobe on Sunday and killed number of students as they slept in the dormitory.
While the initial toll suggests at least 50 students have been killed in the attack, rescue operations are on and the administration are pulling out bodies from the rubble.
Boko Haram are Islamic militants in Nigeria who are against the Western culture. The name means "Western education is forbidden" and sticking true to the meaning of its name, the Islamic militants struck the college as it denotes Western culture for them.
It is also against Muslims participating in Western activities including wearing shirts, trousers and even voting.
The Islamist militant group is opposed to the government`s rule and has for long been demanding a separate creation of an Islamist state in the northern part of the country.
The group was formed by Mohammed Yusuf in 2002 with its headquarters in Maiduguri. It started carrying out deadly terror attacks across Nigeria in 2009.
A clash between the militants and government forces led to the killing of Yusuf and destruction of its headquarters.
However, the group again came under the leadership of a new chief and has since been carrying out terror strikes, including bomb attacks, shootings and suicide attacks, across the country killing thousands of people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September