Nigeria witnesses worst floods in decades
Abuja: Nigeria`s worst flooding in decades has displaced more than 10,000 people in the centre of the country over the past week.
A highway in northern Kogi State, leading to the country`s capital of Abuja was submerged and travellers were left stranded.
Villagers were forced to abandon their houses just as found themselves on rooftops.
Since the beginning of the rainy season, more than 140 people have lost their lives to flooding within the country even as thousands were rendered homeless.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) urged some communities in Ibaji Local Government Area of Kogi State, where the flooding was very intense to move immediately to high ground in neighbouring councils and eve a neighbouring Anambra state due to the increase rise of water level.
Rescuers continued to evacuate displaced people from rooftops and trees.
NEMA is using big boats and recruit the service of local canoe owners for the evacuation exercise.
The Nigerian government has urged travellers to follow an emergency bypass as they try to get to the capital city of Abuja even as most of those travelling by road complained of having spent several days in a journey that should take seven hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- India orders four P-8I maritime spy planes from Boeing to check China's presence in Indian Ocean
- France church attack intensifies terrorism fear in Europe
- No control over SAI center and its activities, claims Haryana Sports Minister Anil Vij
- Rio Olympics: Shooter Vijay Singh expecting at least 4 medals from shooting squad
- One shot dead in Pakistan over alleged desecration of Quran