Nigerian airline owned by Indians resumes flights
Abuja: Seven months after one of its aircraft crashed, leaving 163 people dead, an airline owned by Indians has resumed its domestic services in Nigeria.
Dana Air`s Abuja-Lagos flight had crashed on June 3 near the international airport in the West African country`s commercial capital of Lagos.
"The plane took off by 9.45 am from Lagos, went to Abuja and later returned", sources at the Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos said.
The spokesman for the airline Tony Usidamen said he boarded the aircraft with some passengers for the first commercial flight from Lagos to Abuja after the June 5 air mishap in which the two engines of its plane, McDonnell Douglas-83 aircraft failed mid-air.
After the accident, aviation authorities here suspended the operating licence of the airline but restored it in September following a rigorous audit.
Controversy had trailed the return of the airliner with some lawmakers speaking against its resumption of operations. While some newspaper columnists saw the attack on the airline as racist against a company as it was owned by Indians.
Dana Air was considered to be one of the most efficient in the country before the crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks