Nigerian airline owned by Indians resumes flights
Abuja: Seven months after one of its aircraft crashed, leaving 163 people dead, an airline owned by Indians has resumed its domestic services in Nigeria.
Dana Air`s Abuja-Lagos flight had crashed on June 3 near the international airport in the West African country`s commercial capital of Lagos.
"The plane took off by 9.45 am from Lagos, went to Abuja and later returned", sources at the Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos told a news agency.
The spokesman for the airline Tony Usidamen said he boarded the aircraft with some passengers for the first commercial flight from Lagos to Abuja after the June 5 air mishap in which the two engines of its plane, McDonnell Douglas-83 aircraft failed mid-air.
After the accident, aviation authorities here suspended the operating licence of the airline but restored it in September following a rigorous audit.
Controversy had trailed the return of the airliner with some lawmakers speaking against its resumption of operations. While some newspaper columnists saw the attack on the airline as racist against a company as it was owned by Indians.
Dana Air was considered to be one of the most efficient in the country before the crash.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!