Nigerian ethnic clashes claim 24 lives
Abuja: At least 24 people were killed during an ethnic violence that engulfed remote town of Wukari in Nigeria`s northern state of Tarab, officials said on Saturday.
The clash between Jukun and Hausa/Fulani ethnic groups yesterday also left several persons injured, local hospital sources said.
The town has been placed under a 24-hour curfew by the state government to forestall further violence.
More than 20 people were killed in a similar confrontation in February.
Nigeria`s population stands at 150 million and there are more than 250 ethnic groups.
Clashes are often caused by religious, ethnic or land ownership issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?