Nigerian ethnic clashes claim 24 lives
Abuja: At least 24 people were killed during an ethnic violence that engulfed remote town of Wukari in Nigeria`s northern state of Tarab, officials said on Saturday.
The clash between Jukun and Hausa/Fulani ethnic groups yesterday also left several persons injured, local hospital sources said.
The town has been placed under a 24-hour curfew by the state government to forestall further violence.
More than 20 people were killed in a similar confrontation in February.
Nigeria`s population stands at 150 million and there are more than 250 ethnic groups.
Clashes are often caused by religious, ethnic or land ownership issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’