Nigerian ethnic clashes claim 24 lives
Abuja: At least 24 people were killed during an ethnic violence that engulfed remote town of Wukari in Nigeria`s northern state of Tarab, officials said on Saturday.
The clash between Jukun and Hausa/Fulani ethnic groups yesterday also left several persons injured, local hospital sources said.
The town has been placed under a 24-hour curfew by the state government to forestall further violence.
More than 20 people were killed in a similar confrontation in February.
Nigeria`s population stands at 150 million and there are more than 250 ethnic groups.
Clashes are often caused by religious, ethnic or land ownership issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what