Nigerian governor, 5 others die in copter crash
Abuja: A governor of Nigerian state and a former National Security Advisor were among six people killed when a Navy helicopter carrying them crashed in the country`s oil-rich southern delta region, in the latest air tragedy to hit Africa`s most populous country.
The chopper was conveying officials who went for a funeral ceremony for the father of a presidential aide.
The Governor of Nigeria`s northern state of Kaduna, Patrick Yakowa, former National Security Adviser, Andrew Azazi and four of their aides died in the crash.
The crash occurred yesterday afternoon after the navy helicopter took off from the village of Okoroba in Bayelsa state where officials had gathered to attend the burial.
"Their bodies have been recovered and are being evacuated," an aide to Azazi was quoted by local media, News Express as saying.
Sources said the military helicopter conveying Yakowa and others was heading to the city of Port Harcourt from Bayelsa State capital, Yenagoa.
Aviation disasters remain common in the country, despite recent efforts to improve air safety.
Recently, a chopper flown by the governor of Taraba state, had crashed, injuring him and three aides.
With Agency Inputs
In June, 163 people were killed when a Dana Air passenger plane crashed into a neighbourhood in the commercial capital of Lagos making it Nigeria`s worst air crash in nearly two decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof