Nigerian militant group says not behind Abuja bomb
Lagos: Nigeria`s main militant group, which claimed responsibility for October car bombings in Abuja, said it was not behind the New Year`s Eve blast in the capital.
A bomb on Friday in a busy market area, where people gather to socialise beside an Army barracks, killed at least four people and wounded dozens.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack and President Goodluck Jonathan has said the perpetrators have not yet been identified.
"The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) denies any involvement in any of the bombings that took place in Abuja, Nigeria on Friday, December 31, 2010," an e-mailed statement from the group`s spokesman said on Sunday.
Though MEND said it planted car bombs in Abuja on October 01 that killed at least 10 people, its previous attacks have tended to avoid civilian casualties.
The militant group operates from the Niger Delta where it has attacked oil and gas facilities for years.
At the height of unrest the violence shut down a significant proportion of the OPEC member`s oil output and cost Africa`s most populous nation an estimated USD 1 billion a month in lost revenues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video