Nigerian military kills 20 militants
Abuja: Nigerian military on Sunday killed 20 members of radical Islamist militant group Boko Haram as it repelled their attack on Army barracks in the northeastern state of Borno.
"Boko Haram terrorists attempted to attack a military barracks (in Borno) at about 5:00 am (local time)," spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa said in a statement.
He said the attack occurred in the village of Monguno, about 200 kilometres (124 miles) from Borno`s restive capital of Maiduguri, considered to be Boko Haram`s headquarter.
"The encounter led to the deaths of 20 Boko Haram terrorists," Musa said, adding that the attack was "repelled".
The gunmen came in large numbers with Kalashnikovs and rocket-propelled grenade launchers, he said.
"They came with three trucks and several motorcycles," he added.
Boko Haram wants to install Islamic sharia rule in Africa`s top oil producing country.
The militant outfit has killed thousands through suicide attacks, bombings and shootings.
Nigeria is a secular state and has two major religions, Islam and Christianity.
Christians are found mainly in the south while Muslims are predominant in the north but they share the 150 million population of the country in roughly equal proportion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says