Nigerian military kills 20 militants
Abuja: Nigerian military on Sunday killed 20 members of radical Islamist militant group Boko Haram as it repelled their attack on Army barracks in the northeastern state of Borno.
"Boko Haram terrorists attempted to attack a military barracks (in Borno) at about 5:00 am (local time)," spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa said in a statement.
He said the attack occurred in the village of Monguno, about 200 kilometres (124 miles) from Borno`s restive capital of Maiduguri, considered to be Boko Haram`s headquarter.
"The encounter led to the deaths of 20 Boko Haram terrorists," Musa said, adding that the attack was "repelled".
The gunmen came in large numbers with Kalashnikovs and rocket-propelled grenade launchers, he said.
"They came with three trucks and several motorcycles," he added.
Boko Haram wants to install Islamic sharia rule in Africa`s top oil producing country.
The militant outfit has killed thousands through suicide attacks, bombings and shootings.
Nigeria is a secular state and has two major religions, Islam and Christianity.
Christians are found mainly in the south while Muslims are predominant in the north but they share the 150 million population of the country in roughly equal proportion.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan