Nigerian military kills 40 Boko Haram fighters
Abuja: The Nigerian military on Tuesday confirmed it killed 40 Boko Haram in the northeastern Borno state, Xinhua reported.
Military spokesman Aliyu Danja said the military repelled the insurgents` attempt to launch coordinated attacks at three remote towns -- Bama, Gwoza and Pulka.
"Troops of Army division 7 of the Nigerian Army has foiled yet another attack by Boko Haram terrorists aimed at inflicting havoc on Borno state prior to Sallah festivities," the military official said.
"The terrorists of unknown strength attempted coordinated simultaneous attacks on Bama, Gwoza and Pulka town in Borno state on Sunday. The soldiers of 7 division, however, successfully repelled all the attacks killing 40 terrorists," the spokesperson added.
Danja said that soldiers also destroyed a pickup vehicle loaded with explosives, which were meant for the destruction of Bama town.
According to him, the Nigerian Air Force collaborated with some ground troops from the Army division in a special operation targeted at the "Boko Haram elements and their assets". He said the operation was successful.
Activities of the Boko Haram sect have recently been on the increase in Borno, which shares a border with Cameroon, Niger and Chad.
In April, the Nigerian government tried to broker a ceasefire with the sect but failed.
The Boko Haram sect seeks to enshrine the Islamic sharia law into the Constitution and declares war against the Western education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range