Nigerian Navy kills six pirates, injures one
Lagos (Nigeria): An official says Nigeria`s navy killed six pirates and injured one in an attack against the outlaws expanding their territory in the Gulf of Guinea.
Delta state Navy spokesman, Lt Delightsome Yohana, said on Wednesday that pirates engaged the navy in a gun battle late Sunday off the coast of Calabar in Nigerian and Cameroonian waters. He says Nigeria`s navy fired back, killing the pirates. The wounded attacker is in custody.
The operation is the latest in a string of victories for Nigeria`s navy. Yohana said in the last two weeks the navy has killed 18 pirates and arrested five.
The International Maritime Bureau, which monitors piracy, says the Gulf of Guinea has overtaken Somalia as the new hotspot, while piracy is down in the rest of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Researchers identify rare form of hereditary colon cancer
- India should not hold dialogue with Pakistan: Samajwadi Party
- French PM `open` to interim ban on foreign funding of mosques
- Nirbhaya case: Convicts' lawyer challenges 'iron rod' theory, announces Rs 10 lakh reward for anyone who proves it
- Surprise! Bhagyashree looks amazingly hot in these latest PICS