Nigerian Navy kills six pirates, injures one
Lagos (Nigeria): An official says Nigeria`s navy killed six pirates and injured one in an attack against the outlaws expanding their territory in the Gulf of Guinea.
Delta state Navy spokesman, Lt Delightsome Yohana, said on Wednesday that pirates engaged the navy in a gun battle late Sunday off the coast of Calabar in Nigerian and Cameroonian waters. He says Nigeria`s navy fired back, killing the pirates. The wounded attacker is in custody.
The operation is the latest in a string of victories for Nigeria`s navy. Yohana said in the last two weeks the navy has killed 18 pirates and arrested five.
The International Maritime Bureau, which monitors piracy, says the Gulf of Guinea has overtaken Somalia as the new hotspot, while piracy is down in the rest of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you