Nigerian Navy kills six pirates, injures one
Lagos (Nigeria): An official says Nigeria`s navy killed six pirates and injured one in an attack against the outlaws expanding their territory in the Gulf of Guinea.
Delta state Navy spokesman, Lt Delightsome Yohana, said on Wednesday that pirates engaged the navy in a gun battle late Sunday off the coast of Calabar in Nigerian and Cameroonian waters. He says Nigeria`s navy fired back, killing the pirates. The wounded attacker is in custody.
The operation is the latest in a string of victories for Nigeria`s navy. Yohana said in the last two weeks the navy has killed 18 pirates and arrested five.
The International Maritime Bureau, which monitors piracy, says the Gulf of Guinea has overtaken Somalia as the new hotspot, while piracy is down in the rest of the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city