Nigerian northern state Governor`s plane crashes
Abuja: The Governor of Nigeria`s northern state Taraba, Danbaba Suntai, and five others injured after an aircraft which was piloted by him crashed at Yola airport in neighbouring Adamawa state.
51-year-old Governor, his two aides and three other passengers who were with him in the aircraft on Thursday also survived the crash and are being treated in a hospital.
Adamawa state police spokesman, Mohammed Ibrahim, said Suntai and two security aides are getting treatment at the main hospital in Yola.
A statement from the Nigerian Ministry of Aviation said, "An aircraft, Cessna 208 with 6 souls on board including crew, operated by the Taraba State Government departed Jalingo, Taraba State for Yola on Thursday (yesterday) evening and reported contact with the Yola Control Tower."
"The pilot subsequently lost contact with Yola Control Tower and subsequent effort to raise the aircraft failed. Search & Rescue was immediately activated and site of incident located with all victims alive with various degrees of injuries." the statement said.
Adding that the victims have been evacuated to the hospital for treatment pending further investigation of the incident, it said.
A government house source in Yola who pleaded for anonymity because he is not the official spokesman said the governor of Adamawa state, Murtala Nyako came to the airport with a medical team to convey his counterpart to the hospital.
Suntai, who was elected as the chief executive of Taraba State, when he contested under the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in April 2007 was re-elected on April 26, 2011.
The Governor has love for aircrafts and learnt to fly by tuition from a pilot he employed after purchasing a helicopter and two small aeroplanes.
Not satisfied with the tuition, he enrolled with the Aviation College, Zaria in northern Kaduna state and graduated as a pilot last year.
Suntai commenced the construction of an airport in his state but has been unable to complete it even after spending huge amount of money for the project.
Last month, the state Parliament sitting in the state capital, Jalingo, impeached the Deputy Governor Sani Abubakar for gross misconduct and no other person has been appointed deputy to the governor since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister