Nigerian northern state Governor`s plane crashes
Abuja: The Governor of Nigeria`s northern state Taraba, Danbaba Suntai, and five others injured after an aircraft which was piloted by him crashed at Yola airport in neighbouring Adamawa state.
51-year-old Governor, his two aides and three other passengers who were with him in the aircraft on Thursday also survived the crash and are being treated in a hospital.
Adamawa state police spokesman, Mohammed Ibrahim, said Suntai and two security aides are getting treatment at the main hospital in Yola.
A statement from the Nigerian Ministry of Aviation said, "An aircraft, Cessna 208 with 6 souls on board including crew, operated by the Taraba State Government departed Jalingo, Taraba State for Yola on Thursday (yesterday) evening and reported contact with the Yola Control Tower."
"The pilot subsequently lost contact with Yola Control Tower and subsequent effort to raise the aircraft failed. Search & Rescue was immediately activated and site of incident located with all victims alive with various degrees of injuries." the statement said.
Adding that the victims have been evacuated to the hospital for treatment pending further investigation of the incident, it said.
A government house source in Yola who pleaded for anonymity because he is not the official spokesman said the governor of Adamawa state, Murtala Nyako came to the airport with a medical team to convey his counterpart to the hospital.
Suntai, who was elected as the chief executive of Taraba State, when he contested under the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in April 2007 was re-elected on April 26, 2011.
The Governor has love for aircrafts and learnt to fly by tuition from a pilot he employed after purchasing a helicopter and two small aeroplanes.
Not satisfied with the tuition, he enrolled with the Aviation College, Zaria in northern Kaduna state and graduated as a pilot last year.
Suntai commenced the construction of an airport in his state but has been unable to complete it even after spending huge amount of money for the project.
Last month, the state Parliament sitting in the state capital, Jalingo, impeached the Deputy Governor Sani Abubakar for gross misconduct and no other person has been appointed deputy to the governor since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon