Nigerian plane with 153 aboard crashes in Lagos
Abuja: Over 153 people were feared dead when a passenger plane tragically crashed into a residential building shortly after takeoff in Nigeria`s commercial capital of Lagos on Sunday.
The plane carrying 153 passengers and crew members had taken off from Lagos but was attempting to return to the airport after the pilot noticed a glitch with the aircraft.
The aircraft belonging to Dana Air crashed into a building and caught fire immediately, sending billows of thick black smoke into the air at the Iju neighbourhood where it went down.
Harold Demureen, head of the oil rich African country`s Civil Aviation Authority confirmed the crash and said he believed there were little chances of finding any survivors in the horrific tragedy.
Besides the 153 passengers and crew on the plane, residents of the house may add to the number of persons killed or injured in the crash.
As plumes of smoke emerged fro the crash site, several people rushed to the area to see what had happened.
An eyewitness said he does not believe any of the passengers would have survived the crash that happened near a bus stop in the Ifako Local Government Area of Lagos state.
Emergency services, including fire fighters, also rushed to the area as a thick fire engulfed the site of the accident.
A report in Thisday newspaper said the plane had taken off shortly before the crash.
The aircraft had a full load of fuel for its hour-long flight to capital Abuja, which led to a massive conflagration and is sure to cause a high casualty figure.
The paper quoted its sources as saying that the pilot had
informed the control tower that he needed to return to the airport after noticing something was wrong with his aircraft during taking off.
But, he couldn`t avert the tragedy as the plane went down even as he was trying tor eturn to the airport.
The actual number of the dead was not clear immediately, more so because the tragedy occurred in a residential area.
Nigeria had witnessed a number of plane crashes in 2005 and 2006 that led to stricter controls in the aviation sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27