Nigerian police confirm 16 deaths in gunmen attack
Lagos: Sixteen people were killed in an attack over the weekend by gunmen in the Maru area of northwest Zamfara state in Nigeria, the police confirmed.
State police spokesperson Lawal Abdullahi told Xinhua by phone late Monday that 15 civilians and a policeman were killed by about 150 armed assailants riding motorcycles.
The gunmen had attacked the villages of Tungar Rakumi, Mallamawa and Kangarawa Saturday night, he said, adding that 12 people were killed in Tungar Rakumi alone, with the rest killed in Mallamawa and Kangarawa.
The bandits, armed with AK-47 rifles, were suspected to have carried out the attack in retaliation for the killing of three suspected cattle rustlers last week, Abdullahi said.
He said a police patrol in the area fought back and drove off the gang members, some of whom were wounded. The police always faced difficulties in trailing criminals in the area owing to inaccessible terrain and non-availability of telephone network signals.
The northern and central parts of Nigeria have recorded many deaths in recent years due to attacks by the Boko Haram sect and conflicts between communities with different religious beliefs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation