Nigerian politician in UK court on graft charges
London: An influential Nigerian politician appeared in a British court on Saturday charged with a string of money laundering and fraud offences, police said.
James Ibori, the former governor of Nigeria`s oil-rich Delta State, was remanded in custody after appearing at City of Westminster Magistrates` Court in central London accused of 25 offences, Scotland Yard said in a statement.
He arrived in London on Friday under the escort of British police after being extradited from Dubai.
The 52-year-old will appear at Southwark Crown Court in London on April 28.
Ibori, governor from 1999 to 2007, was arrested in May last year in Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates. He lost an appeal against a ruling that he should be extradited to Britain.
Nigeria, Africa`s most populous country, is ranked among the most corrupt nations in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry