Nigerian politician in UK court on graft charges
London: An influential Nigerian politician appeared in a British court on Saturday charged with a string of money laundering and fraud offences, police said.
James Ibori, the former governor of Nigeria`s oil-rich Delta State, was remanded in custody after appearing at City of Westminster Magistrates` Court in central London accused of 25 offences, Scotland Yard said in a statement.
He arrived in London on Friday under the escort of British police after being extradited from Dubai.
The 52-year-old will appear at Southwark Crown Court in London on April 28.
Ibori, governor from 1999 to 2007, was arrested in May last year in Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates. He lost an appeal against a ruling that he should be extradited to Britain.
Nigeria, Africa`s most populous country, is ranked among the most corrupt nations in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!