Nigerian politician in UK court on graft charges
London: An influential Nigerian politician appeared in a British court on Saturday charged with a string of money laundering and fraud offences, police said.
James Ibori, the former governor of Nigeria`s oil-rich Delta State, was remanded in custody after appearing at City of Westminster Magistrates` Court in central London accused of 25 offences, Scotland Yard said in a statement.
He arrived in London on Friday under the escort of British police after being extradited from Dubai.
The 52-year-old will appear at Southwark Crown Court in London on April 28.
Ibori, governor from 1999 to 2007, was arrested in May last year in Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates. He lost an appeal against a ruling that he should be extradited to Britain.
Nigeria, Africa`s most populous country, is ranked among the most corrupt nations in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal