Nigerian President makes `speedy recovery` from illness
Abuja: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has made a "speedy recovery" from illness in London and was well enough to attend an investor conference there, the presidency said on Friday.
"After apologising to the council members for his absence yesterday, President Jonathan said that his administration has attained significant momentum on the drive to attract new investors into the country," it said in a statement.
Jonathan, who turned 56 on Wednesday, did not attend the first day of the investment meeting on Thursday because he was ill, and his office said he was receiving "precautionary" medical treatment.
A Christian from the southern oil-producing Niger Delta, Jonathan came to power in May 2010 when former president Umaru Yar`Adua died after a long-running heart condition.
The President won an election in 2011 and could be the ruling party candidate again when Africa`s top oil producer and second largest economy goes to the polls in early 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!