Nigerian Prez says arrests made over Kano attacks
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan visited Kano city hit by the violence that has left over 180 dead including an Indian.
Abuja: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on Sunday announced that arrests have been made in the coordinated terror attacks, as he visited the northern Kano city hit by the violence that has left over 180 dead including an Indian.
Jonathan offered his condolences to Emir Ado Bayero, the traditional ruler of Kano - the largest city in Nigeria`s mainly Muslim north - and went to the Armed Forces Specialist Hospital where some of the wounded were brought for treatment.
"Some arrests have been made. Some died in the process. Some were suicide bombers," Jonathan told BBC.
He also met survivors and family members of those killed in the attacks, claimed by Islamic radical group Boko Haram. "We are also looking into those areas to make sure that the so-called Boko Haram... those who are encouraging them, those who are sponsoring them, shall be brought to book," the President said, adding that "there must be people who are sponsoring them”.
Jonathan assured the international community that "all engaged in the act would be made to face the full wrath of the law”.
Meanwhile, the High Commission of India has offered its condolences to the families of slain Indian Kevalkumar Kalidas Rajput and his two Nepalese colleagues and also wished speedy recovery to injured Indians.
"We also wish to take this opportunity to re-emphasise the need for Indian nationals to observe the terms of our Security Advisory issued on January 17 2012. High Commission also reiterates its earlier advisory and requests Indian nationals to register themselves with the Mission," High Commissioner to Nigeria Mahesh Sachdev said. According to hospital workers, the death toll in violence has increased to 180 since Friday when bodies started piling up in a mortuary at Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital.
Before Jonathan`s visit, uneasy calm pervaded the city just as many security checkpoints were set up to scrutinised every resident or new entrant to the city.
Streets were almost deserted as bodies still litter the city and Red Cross and other aid agencies helped in taking such to hospital mortuaries.
People from other ethnic groups other than Hausa which is the most prominent in Kano have started making arrangements to flee fearing the further attacks might be directed at them.
Governor of Kano State Rabiu Kwankwaso had imposed a 24-hour curfew.
Authorities said militants, including some suicide bombers, targeted four police stations, the headquarters of the country`s secret police, state security service in Kano state and an immigration office.
"Some policemen who survived the attack were seen at the premises of Zone one police station dirtied with dusts from the rubble while the dismembered body of a suicide bomber lay at the premises," a witness said.
A reporter for a local television channels, Enenche Akogwu, was also among dead.
Islamic fundamentalist group Boko Haram`s spokesman Abul Qaqa said his group has carried out the attacks.
According to him, the government has refused to release members of the group held at various prisons in Kano, hence it executed the attack.
Boko Haram sect has been waging a bloody conflict to install an Islamic government and Sharia rule in the country. He said they carried out the attacks because the government had refused to release members of the group held at various prisons in Kano.
Boko Haram sect has been waging a bloody conflict to install an Islamic government and Sharia rule in the country. A suicide bombing by the group at the United Nations headquarters in Abuja in July last year had killed 26 persons.