Nigerian troops claim nine Boko Haram members killed
Maiduguri: Nigerian troops said that they had killed nine suspected members of Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram in a gunfight in the country`s northeast.
"In a midnight encounter with Boko Haram insurgents, troops of the 7 division Nigerian Army killed nine Boko Haram terrorists while others fled with various degrees of injuries," army spokesman Colonel Muhammad Dole said in a statement yesterday.
One soldier was wounded late Thursday in the clashes in Damboa area of Borno state, he said.
"During the encounter, arms and ammunitions were recovered and two pick-up vehicles were destroyed."
His claim could not be independently verified.
He said that troops had intensified patrols inside the forest areas of Damboa and nearby Gwoza with a view to preventing further attacks by the insurgents.
The United States designated Boko Haram and an offshoot known as Ansaru as terror groups on Wednesday following four years of horrific attacks that have claimed thousands of lives.
Yesterday the group said it was holding a French priest kidnapped in northern Cameroon.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian government said yesterday in a statement by the foreign affairs ministry in Abuja that the United States` designation of Boko Haram and Ansaru as foreign terrorist organisations would strengthen ties between the two nations.
"It will strengthen cooperation between Nigeria and the United States in the fight against international terror, enhance the capacity and legal basis for concerted actions against both groups," the statement said.
The designation would also "enable the two countries to work more closely towards reducing the capability and capacity of the groups to unleash terror," it added.
Nigeria, Africa`s most populous nation, said it would welcome "more support and assistance from the international community along the lines of the US position on these groups".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla